19 Newhall Street (former Bell Edison Telephone building) - A Birmingham Gem!

The Bell Edison Telephone Building is situated at 17 & 19 Newhall Street in the Colmore Business District. Built in 1896 as the Central Telephone Exchange and offices for NTC.


The Bell Edision Telephone Building was built in 1896, as the Central Telephone Exchange and was also used as offices for the National Telephone Company. It is at 17 & 19 Newhall Street, on the corner with Edmund Street in the Colmore Business District. It was used until 1936, when they moved to Telephone House further down Newhall Street in the Jewellery Quarter. Since then, it has been used as offices by a variety of different firms over the years.

 

The Bell Edison Telephone Building (February 2021). Photography by Daniel Sturley

 

History of The Bell Edison Telephone Building

The red brick and terracotta building (at 17 & 19 Newhall Street) is located on the corner of Newhall Street and Edmund Street, in what is now the Colmore Business District. The building was designed in 1896 by Frederick Martin of the firm Martin & Chamberlain. It is now a Grade I listed building. It originally had the address 19 Newhall Street, it was built as the new Central Telephone Exchange and offices for the National Telephone Company. It is popularly known as the Bell Edison Telephone Building. The NTC is in the wrought iron gates of the building. It was also known as the Telephone Buildings within the organisation. NTC was taken over by the Postmaster General in 1912 and ownership transfered to the GPO. The Central Telephone Exchange relocated down Newhall Street to Telephone House in 1936. They use the address starting as The Exchange, 19 Newhall Street, but the property occupies 17 & 19 Newhall Street and 103 Edmund Street. It was occupied by Associated Architects and Phoenix Beard (as of 2009). But it is now occupied by Core Marketing, Mitchell Adam and GBR Phoenix Beard. The basement is occupied by a bar called Bushwackers, which has an entrance on Edmund Street.

The Bell Edison Telephone Building

The Bell Edison Telephone Building (August 2009). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Project dates

27 Feb 2021 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Classic Architecture

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com